Canberra – Australia’s Capital Region
Discover the home of the Australian Story in Canberra, where national attractions and hidden gems deliver an array of unexpected delights. The city’s national museums and attractions hold and share the treasures of our nation. See our country and people through the eyes of our artists, and experience Australian character through sound and film, books and exhibitions.
Celebrate Australia’s proud sporting achievements, delve into our political history, Indigenous culture and reflect on our young nation’s experience on the international stage.
Home to around 370,000 people, Canberra is one of the world’s few planned cities (complete with its delightful man-made lake), a city in a park, with a kaleidoscope of colours and experiences turned by the changing seasons.
Immerse yourself in the true nature of the native bushland that cradles our city and reveals unexpected delights among the leafy surrounds including stylish restaurants, hip bars, boutique shopping, fun for the kids, great outdoor fun and a busy calendar of events and festivals.
The surrounding region offers more than 30 wineries, historic townships, quiet coastlines, the lush southern highlands and the alpine roof of Australia.
See yourself in Canberra…there’s never been a better time to visit.
- Visit Parliament House with its magnificently chic interior design and colour
- Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens
- Visit the new Arboretum
- Spend some time strolling through the world class national art and portrait galleries
- Go to one of the lookouts to get a great perspective on the thoughtful and detailed layout of Canberra
- Don’t forget music and shows. The ACT and all the major Australian cities have so much to offer musically including highly rated symphony orchestras, some directed by world renowned conductors.